In 2019, Sgoil Gàidhlig Bhaile an Taigh Mhóir kicked off The Language Village, an interactive, engaging space at festivals in which Scottish Gaelic is being spoken, people are being introduced to the language, and everyone can take part in singing, learning, and other activities – from new learners to fluent speakers.
This year we will be at several festivals. Check out the list below for our current stops. We’ll update it as we go. At each one, we will run a variety of language activities throughout the festival designed to appeal to children as well as adults, including sessions on Gaelic poetry, Gaelic song, and introductory Gaelic classes, plus a participatory waulking song session, displays of Scottish Gaelic history and culture, an area for games and other activities in which you can learn and use some Gaelic, and impromptu poetry, music, and conversation.
Nach tig thu?
Please come! We’d love to see you, learn with you, and celebrate with you .
So far, will be at:
- Fair Hill Scottish Games on Saturday, 21 May at the Fair Hill Race Track, Elkton, Maryland.
- Carroll County Celtic Festival on Saturday, 11 June at the Carroll County Agriculture Center, 706 Agriculture Center Drive, Westminster, Maryland 21157.
- Celtic Weekend at Historic London Town & Gardens on the 13th and 14th of August at 839 Londontown Road, Edgewater, Maryland 21037.
- Virginia Scottish Games & Festival on the 3rd and 4th of September at the Great Meadows, 5089 Old Tavern Road, The Plains, Virginia 20198.
- Winter Celtic Festival 13th – 16th January 2023 at the STAR Center of Havre de Grace, 700 Congress Avenue, Havre de Grace, Maryland 21078.